Thursday, June 14, 2012

Learning to Cope with Infertility

There is an excellent article in the June Ensign titled Learning to Cope with Infertility by Carolynn R Spencer. Although my journey has been different I can relate to her experience with infertility.

I love the stories of infertility in the Bible such as Abraham's wife Sarah, “was barren; she had no child” (Genesis 11:30) “For Sarah conceived, and bare Abraham a son in his old age, at the set time of which God had spoken to him” (Genesis 21:2).

"From all of these women in the scriptures, I learned that I was not alone in my heartache; other women who had gone before knew just how I felt, and surely there were others surrounding me who knew as well. Most of all, the Savior knew; not only could He comfort me in my burden of sorrow, but He could ease it for me as Isaiah promised: “Surely he hath borne our griefs, and carried our sorrows” (Isaiah 53:4)."

She goes on by telling her story of infertility and how she was able to conceive on her own after two surgeries and beginning the process of invitro (IVF) and after four years she was able to conceive a second time. She goes on by saying...

"After two such miracles, we hardly dared to hope that there could be one more baby for us. In fact, I struggled with feelings of guilt that I would be so greedy as to ask for yet one more miracle. I focused on my gratitude for the two sons we had already been blessed with, but I still couldn’t shake the feeling that our family was incomplete. As once again the years passed by, I began to feel we couldn’t wait for a miracle much longer. I felt that if there was another baby meant for our family, I needed to somehow get that baby on its way—soon!"...

"I prayed fervently for a stronger confirmation, and the thought was immediately impressed on my mind in regard to all the women I had studied in the scriptures—Sarah and Elisabeth, as well as Rebekah and Hannah: none of these women had in vitro as an option,2 yet nothing is too hard for the Lord (see Genesis 18:14)."

As I read "Sarah and Elisabeth, as well as Rebekah and Hannah: none of these women had in vitro as an option", it got me thinking about if I really should have done in vitro.

After praying and thinking about it I realize that it was no coincidence that I got a job with a company that had infertility coverage. It was no coincidence that IVF 1.0 didn't work and that I hyper stimulated on IVF 2.0 and was able to freeze 21 embryos. Heavenly Father did provide a way for our miracle to happen through IVF. Every person's journey is uniquely different but miracles still happen. Heavenly Father will help us. We must put our trust in Him and in His timing.

I would love to hear your thoughts on this article.

You can read the article here.

No comments:

Post a Comment