5 Things Not to Say to a Women Going Through Infertility- “Relax, and it will happen.”
- “Have you tired…? (certain position, standing on your head, turkey baster)”
- “Just Adopt”- In my case the answer would have most likely been yes but it’s not for everyone and is expensive too.
- “I know what you are going through…it took us 6 months to get pregnant with our third child.”
- “You should enjoy your life without children; you can travel, sleep in late ect.”
After six months of Clomid, I found a new OBGYN that specialized in infertility. The first test I had done was a postcoital test (check cervical mucus to see whether sperm are present and moving normally); results were not good. My mucus was killing about 90% of the sperm, so my doctor suggested IUI (sperm is placed directly into the uterus).
1st attempt with IUI: Clomid 100 mg day 3-7. My follicles never matured therefore Dr. concluded that I probably rarely ovulate naturally. IUI was canceled.
2nd attempt with IUI: Femara 5 mg day 3-7; FSH 2 vials (per day) days 7, 9, 11; HCG shot day 13; 2 follicles IUI day 14
3rd attempt with IUI: Femara 5 mg day 3-7, FSH 3 vials (per day) days 7, 9, 11, 12; HCG shot day 13; 3 follicles IUI day 15
4th attempt with IUI: FSH 2 vials (per day) days 3-11, HCG shot day 13; 2 follicles IUI day 14
After four failed IUI cycles and spending around $500 per month (I didn’t have infertility coverage at the time), I was ready for a break. I actually felt relieved when we decided to take a break. Every month I got my period, I experienced a mourning process, felt a great sense of loss and hopelessness.
I also really wanted to get my jaw fixed. I had an overbite that didn't get fixed with braces as a teenager. It really bothered me and I had TMJ issues as a result of it. I knew it would require braces and major surgery to fix my jaw. I obviously could not be pregnant and have jaw surgery. So I was at peace when I decided that I needed to focus on other things. To be continued...
Hey Melissa--you have a blog! Yay! I love it! Jacob is adorable and you look so great! I'm loving reading your story--I knew parts of it and wish I had been more supportive to you during those years. I've known so many women who've experienced infertility, repeated miscarriages, secondary infertility...it's all HEARTACHE and hopefully I've learned to be more sensitive. And you're right, we've all experienced heartache and grief about different things in our lives and can empathize with the feelings, if not the reasons behind them. I hope you keep posting; I love to stay in touch via blogs! :):)
ReplyDeleteThanks Rebecca! You are so sweet, miss you guys!
ReplyDelete