Friday, March 16, 2012

The Almost Terrible Two's

Jacob is about two weeks shy from his second birthday and he has already hit the terrible two's. How much trouble can an almost two year old get into? Last Saturday he has spilled juice on the carpet (in a sippy cup), got into my sewing supplies, opened a jar of peanut butter and stuck his hand in it, spilled a bag of chips on the carpet, got into my hair gel, and to top it off he found a pen and drew on our leather furniture. I was really feeling like I was doing something wrong as a parent. Thanks for all of your facebook comments.


"Yummy, peanut butter"

Spilled chips

Pen marks on leather furniture. This is after I cleaned it.
I've really been trying to do the Love and Logic approach with Jacob and take him straight to his room when he has done something naughty. I just feel like I'm doing it all the time and since he now can open doors I have to hold the door shut so he doesn't come out. He is always good about saying "Sorry Mama" and gives me a kiss after his "time out". It seams to make everything better :)

A couple of days later he found toothpaste in the downstairs bathroom and did this...
He wants my attention all the time especially when I am cleaning or getting ready is when he seams to get into trouble. I guess I should give up on cleaning :)

Any suggestions for the terrible two's would be appreciated!

4 comments:

  1. OH Jake!!!! He's definitely a character. Bryson is next to me looking at the pictures...and he says, "No Jake No!!!" As if he knows it's naughty!!! I would love to relax!!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha ha ha ha! I'm sorry, but this just made me laugh. I think the smarter they are, the naughtier they can be. Looks like you might have a lil' genius on your hands. :) Don't worry, I've been through it twice and lived to tell the tale. I just wish I could say that the terrible 2s are the worst phase. I'm just now learning about the frightening fours! Good luck, mama! Just (try to) keep a sense of humor about it. I love that you took pictures of all of it. You'll treasure those later.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Two year olds! What a mischievous bunch they are. I wrote a post on my blog a few months ago about how "expensive" kids are...and for all these reasons...how they just destroy everything! I agree, though, with Shannon, on that you probably have a genius on your hands! I know you don't want to hear this...but making messes are SO GOOD for kids...that's how the learn about the world and how they use their curiosity. It's maddening for a mom (drives me crazy, too) but you're definitely not doing something wrong. If there is anything you can't possibly have touch, pack it up HIGH, and then hang on...it will get better. He'll get over this phase...eventually!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Magic eraser works excellent on ANYTHING with crayon, pen or marker. :) I find that they act the terrible twos because they're lreaning to speak & communicate with you. They know what they want to say but can't say it so you understand it. They're also beginning to figure out their feelings.

    ReplyDelete