You might think that our story ends with IVF#2 but it doesn't. Our journey continues...
There were a few things our doctor noted as a result of our failed IVF #1. Of the 9 mature eggs only 3 were fertilized despite the sperm showing good motility and morphology. The ultimate sperm test is IVF, since the fertilization rate was quite low the doctor suggested we consider Intracytoplasmic sperm injection (ICSI) (procedure in which a single sperm is injected directly into an egg), assisted hatching and increase the amount of FSH used.
There were a few things our doctor noted as a result of our failed IVF #1. Of the 9 mature eggs only 3 were fertilized despite the sperm showing good motility and morphology. The ultimate sperm test is IVF, since the fertilization rate was quite low the doctor suggested we consider Intracytoplasmic sperm injection (ICSI) (procedure in which a single sperm is injected directly into an egg), assisted hatching and increase the amount of FSH used.
All seemed to be going so well. This time I started on a FSH dose of 600 units and gradually increased it up to 750 units. I responded correctly to all the medication. My ovaries filled up with eggs, 40 to be exact. Yes 40. I cannot even begin to describe that feeling! At that point the doctor was concerned about my estrogen levels being so high. I was instructed not take any meds to allow my estrogen levels to decreases before HCG "tigger" shot was given.
![]() | |
|
So we had the egg retrieval; it was Father's Day. They retrieved 39 Eggs. We found out later that there must have been a lab error with my progesterone results because the eggs were still there. Of the 39 eggs retrieved, 31 were mature, ICSI was performed and of that 25 fertilized, 21 made it to day 5 blastocyst state. Since I was at risk of hyper stimulating we decided it was best not to transfer any embryos and freeze them for a later transfer date. Pregnancy will cause Ovarian Hyperstimulation Syndrome (OHSS) to worsen.
![]() |
| 2 random day 5 embryos, before they were cyropreserved (frozen) |
Well the doctor was right I did hyper stimulate. I gained 10 pound within a few days. Fluid filled my belly and I literally felt and looked like I was pregnant. I was throwing up every couple of hours and almost had to have surgery to drain the fluid filling up my belly.
Approximate Cost of IVF#2
Insurance paid: $12,000
We paid: $1,000
Approximate Cost of medication:
Insurance paid: $6,000
we paid: $200



No comments:
Post a Comment