Monday, February 13, 2012

Infertility: Part 7 Frozen Embryo Transfer


The process to having frozen embryos transferred is so much easier than doing a full IVF cycle.  I had a medicated cycle (as oppose to a natural cycle), which I was told had a slightly higher chance of success. The only medication I had to take was estrogen pills to increase my womb lining and after the transfer progesterone shots and progesterone cream (Crinone).

2-Day 5 Embryos, If you look closely there is a hole on the outer shell which is assisted hatching.
This is how a frozen embryo transfer works; a few hours before the transfer the embryologist selected 2 out of our 21 "freezer" babies and took them out to thaw. I received a call a hour before our scheduled transfer and was told that both embryos survived!

When we got to the clinic the nurse gave me some Valium and waited until my name was called. My name was called, I verified my information, and we were led back to where two nurses, the doctor and embryologist were waiting in the operating room.  I positioned myself; the most unflattering lights in the universe were shown on my most unflattering parts. Then the most amazing thing took place…
On a screen I was able to watch most of the process.  The embryologist asked me to verify my name and birthday and confirmed that it matched.  He then used a tiny syringe to extract the embryos from the microscope slide and carefully handed it to the doctor and the first and second embryos were transferred; it took all of 2 minutes. It was all over in less than 10 minutes. Then my legs were propped up for approximately 15 minutes. Kelly and I said a prayer and we left the clinic.
Wow, I was pregnant until proven otherwise…

1 comment:

  1. i love this i still think you should write a book i swear lately i only check my facebook just to see if there a a new part to this story. love you

    ReplyDelete